From: Jonathan Chocron <jonathan.chocron@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT 0.0.0.0 security query
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:22:50
1 Le Dimanche 28 Mai 2006 16:53, Dave S a écrit :
2 > Yep, same here. I was trying to lock down my router. By default it allows
3 > any outgoing packets and only allows incoming packets if they are related
4 > to the incoming packets.
5 >
6 > I was trying to lock down my outgoing packets so services such as Samba
7 > would not broadcast anything to the WAN.
8 >
9 > As such I defaulted outgoing to BLOCK and allowed only certain ports.
10 >
11 > However I then needed to allow ports between computers ie for Samba again.
12 >
13 > When I opened the port on the LAN between computers my router wanted at
14 > least one IP address for the WAN. I did not want to give it a real address
15 > so choose 0.0.0.0
16 >
17 > I was really asking ...
18 >
19 > (a) Is it worthwhile setting up my router this way, or am I being paranoid
20 > :)
21
22 I do not think it wise to setup your router that way. Here's a little of
23 theory. I apologize if you're familiar with it, but it is necessary for
24 latter development.
25
26 When in a LAN, a packet will not reach the WAN unless you specify you want it
27 to, that includes broadcasts.
28
29 An element of an IP address is a number between 0 and 254. 255 is used only
30 for broadcasting.
31
32 Moreover, rsync and samba, and most daemons take as a paramater the address or
33 address range they can accept connections from. An incoming connection from
34 the WAN, could not connect to the daemon even if it wanted to.
37 > (b) Is 0.0.0.0 and invalid IP address (I though it might be) because that
38 > is what i was looking for to trick my router to send nothing to the WAN
39
40 An IP address is meaningful only in conjunction with a mask. 0.0.0.0 with mask
41 255.255.255.255 means broadcast to every single IP address that exists. Since
42 the mask indicates between which boundaries the IP number can vary (in this
43 case every IP address item can vary between 0 and 254).
44
45 As a conclusion, this is definitely not what you want to do ! ;-)
46
47 So, taking as a hypothesis that you trust everyone on your LAN, here's what
48 you should do :
49 - Et the policy for incomiong connections to BLOCK.
50 - Unblock the services you actually need the net to access. Plus, in the
51 config file of the daemon, specify it should listen to 0.0.0.0
52 - Allow traffic from your LAN to the WAN (again, if you trust everyone). And
53 set up each daemon to only listen to 192.168.0.1/24 (which means only
54 addresses that begin with 192.168.0).
55 - Set up daemons to broadcast on 192.168.0.255
56
57 I hope this was clear, I have hardly slept last night !
58
59 -- Jonathan
60
61 PS : No need to apologize for the delay, I know even gentooists have lives ;)
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list