From: frares@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:20:07
1 Em 18/08/2011 16:13, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> escreveu:
2 > On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, frares@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi, guys
5 > >
6 > > It is a shame, I know, but after several years using Gentoo, it is the
7 > first time I try to build a kernel without "genkernel".
8 > >
9 > > And now I can't boot to that new kernel, it does not find (and really
10 > do not have a) /dev/sda* root partition ("real-root"); during the boot it
11 > stops, complaining about that, gives me the option to get a shell, from
12 > which I am able to see that there is no /dev/sda* .
13 > >
14 > > I have included everything SATA, so it looks like that is not a kernel
15 > problem, but a initramfs issue, I guess.
16
17 > If you've got a SATA controller, no frills, then all you *really* need
18 > is AHCI. Build that into your kernel if you're worried about having
19 > the right modules in initramfs. You can break it out into a module
20 > later if you like. Opinions differ as to how much stuff should be
21 > broken into modules vs being built-in to the kernel. I tend to build
22 > in everything absolutely needed for boot, myself. Some people build in
23 > just about everything, and some people build in almost nothing.
24 > There's no "right" way for every use case.
25
26 > Also, check your BIOS to see if it's running your SATA controller in
27 > some kind of IDE emulation mode. If it is, disable that. (Some
28 > motherboards let you choose between "IDE" and "RAID", where "RAID" is
29 > AHCI mode. Others call IDE mode 'legacy', and still others might
30 > actually call the AHCI mode 'AHCI')
31
32 > Motherboards running SATA controllers in IDE emulation mode is an
33 > incredibly common thing:
34
35 > 17:18 beh
36 > 17:18 hda1 turned into sda1
37 > 17:19 IRule: Turn SCSI-generic support, or did you
38 > switch from legacy to AHCI in your BIOS?
39 > 17:20 shortcircuit: quiet, you
40
41 > --
42