From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another angle on hal/xorg thread
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:26:24
1 On 11/4/2009 10:51 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I didn't want to derail the ongoing thread about hal/xorg with this
3 > question there.
4 >
5 > Far as I remember I haven't done anything special concerning hal but
6 > at some point hal disappeared. And is not on my system anymore.
7
8 I believe that some packages in portage recently masked off the "hal"
9 USE flag (GNOME stuff, maybe?), so if those were the only packages
10 relying on hal it might have gone away.
11
12 > I've always used and /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for starting X.
13 > What I'm wondering from seeing this kind of topic frequently here is
14 > if I'm running in some deprecated mode?
15 >
16 > If my setup using no hal, and xorg.conf is going to become outdated
17 > and stop working anytime soon?
18
19 The answer is a solid "who the heck knows".
20
21 If it works for you now, don't mess with it. Wait for the
22 Xorg/hal/devkit/whatever situation to settle down before you go making
23 any drastic changes.
24
25 Some people, like myself, are running X with hal and no .conf file and
26 it works like a champ. I get better hardware detection with hal,
27 especially on my laptop, than I ever got manually.
28
29 Other people have had problems with hal and Xorg not detecting their
30 hardware at all. What you are "frequently" seeing is those people
31 reminding everyone, every time the topic come up, that you don't *need*
32 to use the new hal-ified way if it doesn't work for you.
33
34 All of this is probably moot because hal itself is going away and being
35 replaced by devicekit, but not yet because devicekit isn't quite ready.
36 What the configuration situation will be under devicekit I have no
37 idea, though I would hope having no configuration file would still be a
38 goal for the devkit team.
41 --Mike