From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Great Macbook Update 3: Qt-4.5.1 to Qt-4.5.3 blocks hell
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:02:27
1 On Saturday 26 December 2009 23:29:32 bn wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have finally updated from kde 3.5 to kde-base 4.3
5 >
6 > Everything smooth so far, but when I try to install, for example,
7 > kdeplasma-addons, a blocks hell comes out.
8 >
9 > This is the (long) output of emerge -tpuv qt-gui:
10
11 [snip]
14 > I admit I do not have the slightest idea of what to do to solve that. I
15 > can't understand from above which are the packages bringing conflicting
16 > things, and even the conflicts are unclear. I can't think anything apart
17 > from unmerging all of Qt and retrying -but even then, I fear that
18 > something else is the blocking combination and I find myself without Qt.
19 >
20 > I tried googling but, even if some similar blocks comes out, I don't see
21 > *this* block mess coming out.
22
23 Basically, the most important thing to sort out is those qt blocks. You appear
24 to be running an arch machine as version 4.5.3-r1 wants to be merged, right?
25
26 Trying to merge just qt-gui (or any other individual qt apps) is not really
27 going to help much, as portage does not do a deep search. Try:
28
29 emerge -avuND world
30
31 and see if portage sensibly sorts out what should replace what. You might need
32 a very recent portage for this to work automagically. If not, you can either
33 unmask portage, emerge portage and try again, or if you don't like that
34 approach, you must do it the older, longer way:
35
36 remove every single qt and/or qt-* package from world (qt should be treated as
37 pure dependencies unless you are developing qt apps)
38 unmerge *everything* in qt
39 emerge -avuND world
40
41 and let portage sort out what qt versions must be installed.
42
43 Then you must remerge all of KDE4 and every other package that uses qt. Don't
44 skimp this step becuase it 'takes a long time' - you will surely regret it
45 (random mysterious failures etc that only go away when you finally do update
46 all of KDE)
47
48 Once qt is out of the way, proceed with any other blockers that remain
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com