From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Backup schemes involving Win XP stored to linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:27:06
1 I would recommend you use BackupPC. It's masked in portage for testing,
2 or you can install straight from source (that's actually what I did...)
3 It's pretty nice - it will use rsync or samba or tar, or rsyncd
4 depending on how you configure it. Has a nice web interface too...
5
6 R
7
8 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
9 > I'd like to hear of anyones experiences with a setup like the one I'll
10 > describe in a moment. I haven't worked with this extensively yet but
11 > a tentative plan looks like this:
12 >
13 > Three or more windows XP boxes that are devoted primarily to editing
14 > video or graphics in one way or another. The stuff needing backup can
15 > be in really big files but also lots of normal sized still images etc.
16 >
17 > I'm planning to use rsnapshot/rsync to back up the NTFS windows disks
18 > to a gentoo box with internal discs with the needed capacity.
19 >
20 > I guess what I'd like to hear about is any known problems with mixing
21 > filesystems like that. It will all be run over cifs from linux and the
22 > windows boxes will browse for stuff when needed over smb to the linux
23 > files .
24 >
25 > I haven't noticed any show stoppers in my small experiments but wonder
26 > how they will scale up.
27 >
28 > I'm thinking of graduating to somekind of external network storage
29 > with a raid setup and really huge capacity, but again I'd like to have
30 > the server end be gentoo and rsnapshot/rsync.
31 >
32 > Other schemes are welcome.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list