From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] processor speed
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:39:32
1 Hello, Daniel.
2
3 On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 07:49:49 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
4
5 [ .... ]
6
7 > For the frontend replacement I think I'm going to jump to one of the
8 > Ryzen products. I don't need ThreadRipper there, but one of their other
9 > processors will work. The backend will get a faster processor but it's
10 > part of my distcc cluster.
11
12 > I think Dale posted a libreoffice build speed, mine isn't so bad either,
13 > but I'm using RAID and distcc:
14
15 > $ genlop -t libreoffice
16 > * app-office/libreoffice
17
18 > Tue Aug 1 08:45:28 2017 >>> app-office/libreoffice-5.2.7.2
19 > merge time: 1 hour, 22 minutes and 53 seconds.
20
21 > I *really* hate the climate nowadays of toss it out when it acts up/gets
22 > slow.
23
24 Just for comparison, my new Ryzen 1700X box, with 16 GB RAM, and two 500
25 GB SSDs connected to the PCI bus (courtesy of Samsung) in a RAID-1,
26 compiled libreoffice for the first time in around 25 minutes. (It
27 actually took ~35 minutes including 40-odd other packages.) This was
28 with /var/tmp on a RAM disk.
29
30 If money isn't tight, treat yourself! There's something nice about only
31 being able to drink one cup of coffee whilst LO is building, and XFCE4
32 starting in less than a second is also quite gratifying.
33
34 I built my new box partly because the old one from 2009, though still
35 working, is not going to be working for ever, and the announcement of
36 the Ryzen processors finished the prompting. On this machine, building
37 LO takes around two and a half hours.
38
39 > Dan
42 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).