From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to know the fonts inside various font packages
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:52:56
1 How can user learn the exact fonts contained in the various font
2 package offered in portage without actually installing them?
3
4 Even after installing, unless you have something like xlsfonts
5 installed you still won't be able to tell.
6
7 equery files <font-pkg>
8
9 Gives a list of the files installed but the naming is way different
10 from what you see or need to use when assigning a specific to be used
11 in some app.
12
13 And of course using equery already means you've had to install the
14 font.
15
16 I want to find this information before installing a font package.
17
18 I ask because I'm building up a new install, trying mirror or nearly
19 so my previous install which was yrs in the making.
20
21 I looked under /var/db/pkg/media-fonts in backups from the previous
22 install and find no less than 38 font pkgs installed.
23
24 I don't as a rule use anything far out... I like fonts assigned to
25 emacs and xterm... thats about it. And those are common ones like
26 -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso8859-1
27
28 But on a fresh install that particular one is missing. I'd like to
29 have been able to see what package it was in without installing
30 anything.
31
32 I've already gone ahead and installed some listed in the backup
33 mentioned and now have that one available but I'd like to know for
34 future reference if I can determine what fonts are in which packge
35 somehow.