From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need 194 pkgs to install git?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:12:30
1 On 03/08/13 06:20, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > [...]
5 >
6 >>> Unless I hear something that would indicate it will be too crippled
7 >>> even for the usage I plan.
8 >>
9 >> You should of course put those USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use
10 >> instead of setting them in the command-line, otherwise they won't be
11 >> remembered.
12 >>
13 >> But I would go with the defaults anyway. There is no reason at all
14 >> why you should not install 194 packages.
15 >
16 > Only that this is a smallish install with only 32gb of disk space.
17
18 You would be surprised how little space most packages actually consume
19 once installed :-) For example, my desktop has a full KDE install
20 (*with* semantic-desktop), lots of extra packages for developing,
21 graphics editing, audio editing, four different browsers with all their
22 deps, etc. It's a multilib system with lots of 32-bit compatibility
23 deps. In total, that's 1381 installed packages. Total space consumed
24 is 8GB.
25
26 So I'd say try to install it. If it turns out it takes too much space,
27 it's very easy to get rid of all those deps again:
28
29 emerge -aC dev-vcs/git
30 emerge -a --depclean