From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Pin a package to a binary (quickpkg'd) version?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:39:52
1 Jouni Kosonen <jouni.kosonen <at> tukesoft.com> writes:
4 > Tanstaafl wrote:
5
6 > > What I want is to be able to pin a specific package to the
7 > > quickpkg'd
8 > > version, so it doesn't get updated during an emerge world...
9 >
10 > Wouldn't it mostly work if you
11 > a] Copied the package ebuild directory to a local overlay to ensure
12 > the version keeps being available to portage even if it vanishes from
13 > the official tree and
14 > b] masked any later version in, say, /etc/portage/package.mask/pinned
15 > ( and c] mentally prepared to repeat the procedure when the tree no
16 > longer provides compatible dependencies )
17
18 Very similar to what I was musing/researching....
19
20 Some resources you may want to read up on that deal with slotting, and
21 multislots (which allow for multiple versions (concurrent) installations
22 for certain key packages.
23
24 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/
25
26 euse -i multislot
27
28 http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/autoconf.html
29
30 A recent post on gentoo-dev "distutils-r1: set install paths via setup.cfg
31 rather than argv"
32
33 Just might provide you some ideas how to achieve what you want to
34 do. I'm looking at a similar issue for my local overlays and codes
35 I'm testing in a variety of forms; ebuilds and raw sources.
38 hth,
39 James