From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Apache emerge stumbles on LDAP; should I care?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:29:04
1 I'm in the midst of an avalanche of re-emerging packages, occasioned in part by
2 an update to the LDAP libraries. I don't completely understand that because I
3 never turned on the LDAP USE-flag, but maybe some things just need it.
4
5 However, I'm annoyed that apache would not build because, it said,
6 dev-libs/apr-util
7 did not have LDAP support. DUH! Nothing new here. I hadn't changed my mind
8 about LDAP, so why all of a sudden apache is getting touchy about LDAP?
9
10 I explicitly set apache to -ldap in packages.use, and it compiled okay. B ut
11 I'm starting to wonder if that was sensible. I only vaguely understand that
12 LDAP has to do with "directory" searches, but I don't know why I should care
13 about that in general, or about it in reference to apache.
14
15 So what do I need to know about this?
16
17 ++ kevin
20 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
21 --