From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot filesystem, SSDs, TRIM
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 22:31:40
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Correct me if I'm wrong here, it used to be that grub, the original
5 > version not the current bloated one, had to have ext2.
6
7 The upstream version. Various distributions added ext4 support to
8 grub1 (circa 2009, IIRC). None of the patches were upstreamed because
9 grub1 development was closed.
12 > If I recall correctly, a ext4 file system can be *read* the same as
13 > ext2. The difference is the journal.
14
15 That's true for ext3. For ext4, you have to ensure that some
16 ext4-specific features are off for it to be read as if it were ext2.