From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LibreOffice 3.4.4: required HDD space
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:11:10
1 On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:58:22 +0000
2 James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 20 November 2011 18:32, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:07:33 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Ok, then I'll narrow my guess to the size required being
9 > > > dependent on USE flag combinations.
10 > >
11 > > Also CFLAGS and architecture, to a lesser extent.
14 > Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would be nice
15 > if it would use that information (roughly) to determine how much
16 > space to check for.
17 >
18 > 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.
19
20 If the maintainer implemented that, he'd be promptly inundated with all
21 manner of support question none of which he can answer accurately.
22
23 A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
24 results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any amount of
25 other craziness.
26
27 Read the maintainer's blog sometime (it's on the gentoo.org frontpage)
28 to get a sense of what it takes to maintain that bitch of a project.
29 Something as simple as figuring out what packages LibreOffice bundles
30 and making the ebuild use the system one instead is a mammoth task.
31 Don't forget that every little tweak is 2 hours of building just to
32 test if it builds. Then one has to test if it works....
33
34 I'm not surprised the OOo and LibreOffice ebuilds take the easy route -
35 figure out by enabling everything the maximum amount of free space OOo
36 ould possibly need to build, then insist the build host has at least
37 that much free. Heck, I'd do exactly the same.
41 Alan McKinnnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com