From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LDAP server questions
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 06:13:15
1 On 18 February 2014 06:03:02 CET, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >Hello list!
3 >
4 >I'm planning to replace an Active Directory server currently
5 >functioning
6 >*only* as an LDAP server, with a dedicated Linux-based LDAP server.
7 >
8 >Now, the function of the LDAP server is at the moment:
9 >* Provide the settings database for Axigen email server
10 >* Provide group membership for BlueCoat proxy (who allowed to access
11 >what)
12 >* Provide group membership for FreeRADIUS
13 >* Provide group membership for Fortinet VPN
14 >
15 >The day-to-day management will be handled be another division, and I'm
16 >quite sure that they prefer a GUI, so the solution really should have a
17 >GUI
18 >support (either Windows-based 'client' or web-based admin console).
19 >
20 >Apparently, there are now many implementations of LDAP in the *nix
21 >world,
22 >such as OpenLDAP, OpenDS, ApacheDS, and 389DS.
23 >
24 >Have any of you experiences with them? Which one do you think is the
25 >most
26 >mature and supported? And, quite importantly, which one has a GUI
27 >front-end?
28 >
29 >Rgds,
30 >--
31
32 Openldap has a webbased gui: phpldapadmin.
33
34 Both are in the tree.
35
36 I use this myself for all the user accounts. Allowing me to only maintain a single repository for all the services and desktops.
37
38 Not been able to get ms windows to authenticate against it though. But that requires further tools to be properly configured. (Think samba as a DC)
41 Joost
42 --
43 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.