From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:08:42
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
4 > come with thunar. When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
5 >
6 > Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
7 > and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
8 > manager? FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
9 >
10 > Thank you,
11 >
12 > Chris
13 >
14 <SNIP>
15
16 Hi Chris,
17 I think you got your problem solved if my quick scan of this thread
18 is correct. However one comment I didn't see come up was to point out
19 that it can make a huge difference in terms of use flag choices
20 depending on which system profile you choose to orient your system
21 around. In the case of my wife's XFCE machine I found that using the
22 plain profile worked pretty well, but when I added KDE to it (I use
23 KDE when sitting on that machine) I needed to add a lot of use flags
24 and keyword a number of files. In the case of my own systems I choose
25 the KDE profile which ends up with most everything use flag oriented
26 pretty optimized for KDE. (No surprise.)
27
28 Anyway, as you're new to Gentoo and looking for more in-depth
29 answers, I wanted to just make sure you at least considered the system
30 profile chosen and it's effect on what you have to do to emerge
31 packages.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Mark
35
36 k2 ~ # eselect profile list
37 Available profile symlink targets:
38 [1] default/linux/amd64/10.0 *
39 [2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/selinux
40 [3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
41 [4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
42 [5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
43 [6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
44 [7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
45 [8] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
46 [9] hardened/linux/amd64
47 [10] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
48 [11] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
49 [12] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
50 k2 ~ #