From: support@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] web & ftp server
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:47:27
1 Hi,
2
3 > Hi guys, i have a web server with IP based virtual hosts (3-4) and i
4 > want to make a ftp account for every host. I'm thinking to use proftpd
5 > and to make the root dir in /var/www so then every user will have home
6 > directory to different web account (/var/www/domain1, /var/www/domain2,
7 > etc.). For the ownership of the files i'm thinking to start the ftp
8 > server with user and group apache to make possible for the web server to
9 > read the files. Is my ideas right?
10 > I'm open for other ideas :)
11
12 well, in general you are right, but please allow me some comments:
13
14 ProFTPD is supporting alternative user/passwd sources like files or a
15 mysql db. While mysql is a good solution for mass hosting, I would go for
16 "authuserfile" in your case. This allows you to work with FTP users
17 without adding any system users to your system. As well you can also give
18 the user an invidual UID and GID, so I would suggest the UID and GID of
19 apache.
20
21 I am not sure, if the ftpasswd program to handle this accounts is included
22 in the gentoo package. You will find it in the contrib directory of
23 proftpd.
24
25 Usuage: (example taken from an SuSE System I worked on last week):
26 ftpasswd --file /usr/local/etc/proftpd.user --home <HOME> --name <NAME>
27 --shell /bin/false --passwd --uid 30 --gid 8
28
29 proftpd.conf:
30 AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/proftpd.user
31 RequireValidshell off
32
33 the syntax should be clear, otherwise just ask.
34
35 If I am correct you have to recompile ProFTPD with the correct Useflag.
36 Also please note, that you still can login as a system user. To prevent
37 this you have to add the authorder option to your proftp.conf
38
39 Hope that helps
40
41 Stonki