From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dumb question
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:33:17
1 On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:30:59 -0500, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2
3 > I suspected it might be memory. However I still find it difficult. If
4 > I'm running KDE for example, it requires at least kdelibs which is a lot
5 > to hold in memory.
6
7 Programs only load the libraries they use, you're unlikely to have all
8 KDE libraries loaded at once. This can lead to problems if you are
9 updating KDE and have updated the libs but not the packages. I've had
10 Konqueror fail to work during an upgrade because of a library mismatch.
11
12 The easy way to avoid this is to load all the programs you are likely to
13 be using before starting the the upgrade. That way you are sure that all
14 you need is in memory and independent of changes in the on-disk versions.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 I am Flatulus of Borg. Pull my finger.