From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitions - last questions...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:35:08
1 Am 23.04.2013 16:44, schrieb Tanstaafl:
2 > Ok, this is the last question I need to answer for myself before
3 > installing a final version of my new virtualized gentoo server...
4 >
5 > I'll be using the following partition layout:
6 >
7 > /boot (ext2), 100M
8 > /swap, 2G
9 > / (ext4), 40G
10 >
11 > then on LVM
12 >
13 > /tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?
14 > /var/tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?
15
16 If this is a production server I wouldn't use ext2. In the case of a
17 crash or reboot, you don't want to loose precious uptime just because of
18 fsck or corrupted file systems.
19
20 > /var/log (ext4) <- size? should I even have this separate?
21
22 Doesn't need to be separate but could prevent a runaway process from
23 filling /var just because it is spamming log entries. Could also be
24 achieved with quotas.
25
26 > /var (xfs), 750G
27 > /snapshots (xfs), 10G? <- for lvm snapshots of /var for backups
28 >
29 > I'm not using a separate /home because there are no system users beyond
30 > my admin user (and the system user accounts)...
31 >
32 > So - first, is 5G way too big for the two /tmp dirs? I have lots of
33 > space, but hate waste
36 If you worry about waste consider bind-mounting both from the same
37 partition and install quotas to avoid one filling up the other. A bit
38 like poor-man's btrfs sub volumes.
39
40 Since you are using LVM you should also keep some unallocated memory,
41 start with smaller partitions and monitor usage. A cron job that looks
42 at `df` and sends a mail when a partition is more than x% full helps a lot.
43
44 > This mail server is not all that busy, and the backups only take about
45 > an hour, so I guesstimate that there won't be more than about 100-300MB
46 > of changes at the *extreme* outside of the envelope, so the 10G is most
47 > likely extreme overkill... but I'll know soon enough, and besides, I've
48 > got plenty of disk space to play with.
49 >
50 > One question... I have some MySQL databases running on this system too,
51 > for my userdbs, and on the new server, SOGo (groupware)...
52 >
53 > Is it recommended to incorporate scripts to perform dumps of the dbs, or
54 > is the lvm snapshot reliable enough for backing these up in their raw
55 > state?
58 Restoring from lvm snapshot is like restoring after a black out or
59 similar crash. Having proper dumps is always a good idea.
60
61 > Thanks as always for comments/suggestions/criticisms...
64 Hope this helps,
65 Florian Philipp