From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems moving /boot partiton
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:09:51
1 Hi,
2 I am attempting to move my /boot partition on a specific machine to
3 make way for a Windows XP dual boot. This machine is the only one with
4 a graphics adapter that meets the requirements of my son's new game.
5
6 and right now the machine is no longer booting...... Bummer....
7
8 OK, so I used to have
9
10 /dev/sda1 /boot
11 /dev/sda2 swap
12 /dev/sda3 /
13
14 and then some higher partitions, and a bunch of unused disk space. To
15 get ready to add Windows I created two new partitions:
16
17 /dev/sda9 /boot
18 /dev/sda10 swap
19
20 First I added the new swap to fstab, rebooted and made sure it was
21 picked up correctly. I then copied everything in the old boot
22 /dev/sda1 to the new boot /dev/sda9 and modified the grub.conf file on
23 the new boot partition to ensure it was getting called with new names
24 for the boot options after I rebooted. I also attempted to change the
25 boot options themselves to point at the new boot partition. The old
26 grub.conf and new grub.conf file examples are shown:
27
28 OLD:
29 title 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
30 root (hd0,0)
31 kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
32
33 NEW:
34
35 title New Layot 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
36 root (hd0,8)
37 kernel (hd0,8)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
38
39 When this was complete I ran grub using the commands
40
41 grub
42 root (hd0,8)
43 setup (hd0)
44 quit
45
46 My understand of the above is that the root (hd0,8) says place the
47 second part of grub on /dev/sda9 (drive 0, partition 8) while the
48 second says place the first part of grub in the MRB.
49
50 I then rebooted:
51
52 1) There is a long delay. I then get a message about the kernel file
53 not being found. Grub drops me into the grub choice screen which is
54 messed up text.
55
56 2) I do see the 'New Layout' names so it does seem to be finding
57 /dev/sda9 with the new text
58
59 3) None of the options work.
60
61 I've now rebooted using the Gentoo 2006.0 install CD. The kernels
62 are on /dev/sda9 so it seems grub should be able to find them but it
63 isn't.
64
65 Can anyone suggest what I'm missing here?
66
67 thanks,
68 Mark
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list