From: "Bruce Hill
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 03:43:26
1 On March 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Android != Linux (in context of userspace)
5 >
6 > To get a phone shipped with a running Linux (in the usual definition of
7 > Linux, not Richard Stallman's) you need that Nokia one that will never
8 > again see the light of day.
9 >
10 > Or root your Sony and stick Debian on it. Being a Sony device, that
11 > might be hard.
14 > --
15 > Alan McKinnnon
16 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
20 I could also say, IMHO, Ubuntu != Linux (in context of userspace) <:-)}
21
22 My personal definition of "Linux" is "The Linux Kernel", which source can
23 be downloaded from kernel.org.
24
25 My Samsung Galaxy S has "Kernel version 2.6.35.7", which I assume to be The
26 Linux Kernel.
27
28 Sure, it's not beyond Google to steal, or borrow, code and rewrite enough
29 stuff and call it it's own. But we all know the source. (And failure to
30 agree to the new Google {Play,Music,Books} and YouTube license(s) has
31 caused me not to be able to upgrade applications ... 16 iirc and counting.)
34 I'm just wondering what "Linux" phone he, or anyone, is using -- after him
35 saying [the "vast majority" of Linux users right now are phone users.]
36 Maybe the vast majority of Linux users are phone users, but I took it to
37 mean the vast majority of Linux users are those using phones running Linux
38 (which I highly doubt).
39
40 After using the previously mentioned iPhone (my first smartphone) for >1
41 year, it just made me feel weird being so not-like-Linux. But it works
42 well, except for decreased cell signal when holding the phone.
43
44 After using this Android phone for <3 months, I'm counting the days until I
45 can upgrade to an iPhone. The Galaxy has frozen, crashed, hung; it's
46 wireless signal is not nearly as good as the iPhone, nor is it's battery
47 usage. It has features which I like over the iPhone 3 series, but I've
48 never used a 4 series to compare. And customer services says, "Maybe you
49 have a virus. We're not trained on Android, just Windoze and Apple
50 devices." (So why offer them to your customers? There's money in it,
51 silly!)
52
53 Just curious about phones. After using these 2 smartphones (since June
54 2010), I miss my dumb flip phone. If money were no object, I'd buy one of
55 the new iPads for ultra portable internet access, and get a simple dumb
56 phone for cellular use.
57 --
58 Happy Penguin Computers >`)
59 126 Fenco Drive ( \
60 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
61 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
62 support at happypenguincomputers dot com
63 http://www.happypenguincomputers.com