From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Filesystem choice for NVMe SSD
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:35:36
1 On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:31:26 +0100 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:02:47 +0300
3 > schrieb Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>:
4 >
5 > > I have thoughts about caching NFS using filescached, but limited
6 > > durability of the drive (400 TBW warranty for 512 GB size) restrains
7 > > me here. Probably I'll use it for caching only in exceptional cases
8 > > (e.g. slow remote mounts like AFS), but with 64 GB RAM I doubt I'll
9 > > need additional NVMe-based caching, at least for now, with time
10 > > this may change of course.
11 >
12 > Take note, that filescached may not support every filesystem for cache
13 > storage - e.g. btrfs cannot be used for it currently. I haven't looked
14 > at other options yet.
15
16 cachefilesd needs user_xattr feature, both ext4 and f2fs have it.
17
18 Btrfs people claim that fs lacks this option because functionality
19 is enabled by default:
20 http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg06814.html
21
22 But I haven't tested this myself.