From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is grub in my mbr?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:31:11
1 On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:53:28 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2
3 > > If you don't, the stage1 in your MBR may not work with the stage1.5
4 > > and stage2 in /boot. This happened with a recent GRUB update.
5 >
6 > Not to me.
7
8 Aha, the old "works for me" defence :)
9
10 It came up on this list very recently, where someone had to use a live CD
11 to fix GRUB after ignoring/missing the elog warnings.
12
13 WARN: postinst
14 *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
15 the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
16 stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
17 later stages will be the new version, which could
18 cause problems such as an unbootable system.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Everything's back to normal. Damn.