From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 05:09:49
Hello all,

I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and
rescue purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could).  I've mostly
followed the Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the
whole system, and no swap).  I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I
can have a multi-system capable kernel).  I've gotten GRUB installed and
working.  My problem comes in after what I believe is the init process:

Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
  Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

  * Mounting proc at /proc
...                                             [ ok ]
  * Mounting sysfs at /sys
...                                             [ ok ]
  * Mounting /dev
...                                                      [ ok ]
  * Starting udevd
...                                                     [ ok ]
  * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents
...              [ ok ]
  * Waiting for uevents to be processed
...                                [ ok ]
  * Mounting devpts at /dev/pts
...                                        [ ok ]
  * Checking root filesystem ...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

  * Filesystem couldn't be fixed
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1.  However, mount
shows /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a
sda1 folder in that as well.  It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but
then lost it somehow.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Jake Moe