From: Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tailing compressed build logs
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 04:36:12
1 Hi folks,
2
3 How can I follow Portage's compressed build logs in real time as they
4 are generated?
5
6 I keep build logs and use FEATURES=compress-build-logs so that they
7 don't get too large. I can peek at how a build is going with zless on
8 build.log.gz, which doesn't update (understandably), but I would
9 really like to be able to watch a log with some "tail -f" equivalent.
10 I get streaming output with
11
12 tail -c +1 -f build.log.gz | od -t x1
13
14 but the following hangs with no output:
15
16 tail -c +1 -f build.log.gz | gunzip
17
18 even with a build log that is 72KB compressed (2.4MB uncompressed),
19 which should be larger than any pipe buffers... Any idea why gunzip
20 can't handle this, or what I should I should be doing instead?
21
22 Thanks,
23 Bryan