From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA forgot default device
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 00:46:09
1 On 2022-05-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Gentoo, with OpenRC, how do you configure the default board/device
4 > for ALSA?
5 >
6 > I've asked Google, and all the links it comes up with are for sites
7 > that are broken because of PHP or database failures (e.g. wiki.gentoo.org
8 > and forums.gentoo.org).
9 >
10 > The usual fallback is wiki.archlinux.org, but its instructions to
11 > place the following in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc doesn't work:
12 >
13 > defaults.pcm.card 1
14 > defaults.ctl.card 1
15
16 wiki.gentoo.org is back, and it says to use something like this in /etc/asound.conf
17 or ~/asoundrc:
18
19 defaults.pcm.!card 1
20 defaults.pcm.!device 0
21 defaults.ctl.!card 1
22
23 That also does nothing. Using card names as shown at
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Files also does nothing.
25
26 Yes, I'm restarting alsasound after changing /etc/asound.conf
27
28 The only way I can get sound is to specify the card using -D with
29 aplay, or using -ao alsa:device= with mplayer, or by manually choosing
30 the correct output device in VLC.