From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 18:53:00
1 On 2021-11-15 11:42-0700 Skippy <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/15/21 09:14, tastytea wrote:
4 >
5 > snip
6 >
7 > >>
8 > >> When in gPodder i enable use of Youtube-dl I get the message
9 > >>
10 > >> Extension cannot be activated.
11 > >> Python module not found: youtube_dl
12 > >
13 > > That looks like it does not use the program, but the python module
14 > > directly. You could try if symlinking
15 > > /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp to
16 > > /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/youtube_dl helps. Replace python3.9
17 > > with your version of course.
18 > > If that works, please file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org.
19 > >
20 > >> Anyone know how to make gPodder use yt-dlp?
21 > >>
22 > >> Do I simply need a link that sends youtube_dl to yt-dlp?
23 > >
24 > > yt-dlp already installs a wrapper script in /usr/bin/youtube-dl.
25 > >
26 > > Kind regards, tastytea
29 > I created the symlink as you instructed and it appears to be working.
30 > When I enable use of youtube-dl in gPodder I get no error messages.
31 > I just added a youtube feed and am downloading some videos.
32 >
33 > Thanks for the assistance.
34 >
35 > In regards to filing a bug - I'm unclear exactly what the bug is. Is
36 > the bug the fact that gPodder will not use yt-dlp in place of
37 > youtube-dl without your work-around?
38
39 It's not really a bug, more a workaround for projects that haven't
40 switched yet. I thought it makes sense to let the ebuild add the
41 symlink since yt-dlp and youtube-dl can't be installed at the same time.
42
43 But ionen mentioned in the other reply¹, that
44
45 > While the "youtube-dl" command from the yt-dlp ebuild is mostly
46 > compatible, the python module can need small workarounds so opted
47 > not to symlink the module in the ebuild.
48
49 So it seems to be not such a good idea. 😊
50
51 ¹ <https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/c76c383b9ff73e7c9cd48f76bad4f752>
54 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
55 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.