From: Maciej Grela <maciej.grela@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:39:14
1 2010/11/26 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > As per subject, what's the best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity, please?
5 >
6 > Or perhaps a better question would be: what approaches are available?
7 >
8 > Presently my main Linux system is basically just a storage server with a *really slow* disk controller. I do all my web-browsing and email (and most other things) on my Mac laptop (because my Mac desktop has recently died ☹), but I occasionally do some bash or perl scripting, searches and other stuff on this Linux box.
9 >
10 > Normally this isn't a problem - the machine is an old Pentium 4 but plenty powerful enough for this simple command-line stuff. However I have recently bought a new STB which plays DVD .iso files across the network, so I started ripping DVDs on storage server, using dvdbackup && mkisofs. When I do so, interactivity becomes *dire* - it takes maybe 15 seconds for *any* command to execute.
11 >
12 > My immediate reaction was to consider the recent "200-line patch to kernel => superkernel" thread:
13 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/221770
14 >
15 > But I have also heard of `ionice` in the past: http://linux.die.net/man/1/ionice
16 >
17 > I've never used that - in fact, I can't recall ever having to use the regular `nice` - but I think maybe I should consider it.
18 >
19 > Does anyone have any thoughts, please?
22 I use ionice & nice when running paludis in the background and it does
23 the job pretty well:
24
25 alias paludis='ionice -c 3 nice -n 19 paludis'
26
27 Just remember that for ionice to work properly you need to have the
28 CFQ I/O scheduler enabled.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Maciej Grela