From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] ext3 file permissions on a USB drive
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:28:33
1 I promise I googled. I found the question asked quite a bit, but never
2 found a solution. This isn't a Gentoo-specific question, so I marked
3 it [OT].
4
5 I have a USB HDD, using ext3, and I'd like all users to be able to have
6 full permissions for any file on it. It's *not* a problem to mount it
7 rw for all users; I mention this because googling turned up a lot of
8 people mistaking that question for the one I want to ask.
9
10 The problem is that if user A on machine X creates a file on the drive,
11 it has access permissions 644, which makes it impossible for user B on
12 machine Y to modify the file. (User A and user B are both me, but with
13 different UIDs on the different machines.)
14
15 What I'd like is for all files created on the drive to have
16 permissions 666, but I don't see any way to override the system umask
17 (0022) for only this drive. I saw somewhere suggested that setting
18 the device node and the mountpoint permissions both to 666 would do
19 that, but it doesn't work for me (and I don't know why it would for
20 anyone).
21
22 As it is now, I have to occasionally use '# chmod -R 666' on the
23 entire drive before I can work with files on it.
24
25 If I reformat the disk as vfat, I could use the umask mount option for
26 vfat, but if possible I'd rather keep using ext3.
29 »Q«
30 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.