From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] import .(dot)pst files into KMail?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:11:35
1 On Nov 6, 2005, at 8:03 pm, El Nino wrote:
2 >
3 > my company user has his all mails on one .pst(MS outlook PST file)
4 > file & it contains more than 2GB. so now i have to import them into
5 > newly installed KMail application on my Linux box. my question is how
6 > can i import .(dot)pst file into KMail?
7
8 .pst files are notoriously horrible to work on - IMHO the best way to
9 solve this is to set up an account on an IMAP server & in Outlook drag
10 all the messages across into the IMAP mailboxes. This ensures that the
11 only program dealing with the proprietary format of the .pst files is
12 Outlook itself - once Outlook passes the message across to the IMAP
13 server then that'll store the messages in a standard mailbox format
14 like maildir or mbox. It may take quite some time to copy all the files
15 across the network & onto the server but - blindly confident in
16 Outlook's ability to talk to a "standard" IMAP server - I really
17 believe this to be the cleanest way.
18
19 If this isn't an option then take a look at net-mail/libpst - I used
20 this or something similar a number of years ago to export some
21 thousands of messages from Outlook Express to mbox and it seemed to
22 mostly work. I say _mostly_ because I believe there were some messages
23 that got garbled, losing (I think) the date or some other header
24 information.
25
26 Not only is the format of .pst files hideously complicated and binary,
27 but it also changes between versions of Outlook - 2000 may not open an
28 Outlook 2003 .pst file, for instance. Due to the quantity & nature of
29 the messages you're dealing with it's hard to audit a conversion like
30 this - this is why my preference is to get Outlook to do the donkey
31 work on files of this format, rather than a 3rd-party tool.
32
33 Stroller.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list