From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xscreensaver is very slow
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:11:52
1 On 2019-06-18 11:54, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > > Does CPU use seem to go way up when xscreensaver starts?
4 >
5 > No. The problem seems to be with the 3-D savers :
6 > Gkrellm shows heavy use of 1 CPU (out of 8 ) at a time when they run.
7 >
8 > > Is glxgears running as it should ?
9 >
10 > I can't find an executable or pkg called 'glxgears',
11 > but the saver called 'gears' small preview runs at 60 fps ,
12 > but the big preview runs at 14 fps ;
13 > previously, the latter also did 60 fps .
14
15 These findings harden my suspicion that the *GL* stuff (of which I have
16 only the minutest clue) is broken for you.
17
18 Do install the mesa-progs package that Dale found and run glxgears. It
19 should have almost no effect on CPU use if things are working right.
22 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
23 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
24 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
25 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.