From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Abysmally slow 2D performance using proprietary Nvidia driver on dual Xeon system (EMT64)
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:20:29
1 On 11/7/05, A. Khattri <ajai@××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Greg Bur wrote:
4 >
5 > > My apologies for not making this more clear. The system load spike
6 > begins
7 > > with the click and it hovers at or near 100% until the new task (opening
8 > a
9 > > program, displaying a menu, etc) has completed. Even moving a window
10 > causes
11 > > this to happen and the load only jumps on one processor, the other is
12 > idle
13 > > or nearly so. When the nvidia driver is working correctly (assuming the
14 > > driver is to blame) the load seems to be balanced evenly across both
15 > > processors.
16 >
17 > What are the specs of the machine? How much RAM when running X? ("free -t
18 > -o -m" in an xterm will tell you). How much free disk space? Dual
19 > processor machine? If so, SMP is enabled in your kernel? Is X using
20 > software rendering?
23 Dual 3.0Ghz Xeon
24 2GB RAM
25 128MB GeForce 6600GT
26 Audigy 2 soundcard
27
28 free -t -o -m output:
29
30 gbur@minuteman ~ $ free -t -o -m
31 total used free shared buffers cached
32 Mem: 2009 1505 503 0 440 584
33 Swap: 1953 2 1950
34 Total: 3962 1508 2454
35
36 SMP is enabled in the kernel as well as hyperthreading in the BIOS. As for X
37 using software rendering, to be completely honest I'm not sure and my guts
38 are telling me that is what is happening here. I believe I have enabled all
39 of the appropriate options in the kernel as well as /etc/X11/xorg.conf
42 Many variables here.
43 >
44 > --
45 >