From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:22:27
1 On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > My fast desktop with Core i7 920, Nvidia GX 240, has a
4 > slower KDE UI than my 6-year-old laptop that has AMD Athlon 3200+ and
5 > ATI Radeon Mobility 9700. Simply opening a konsole window on my
6 > desktop with compositing enabled can take 2-3 seconds, when it is
7 > instant on the laptop.
8
9 Reply to myself here :)
10
11 I did some Googling and found some possible explanations/workarounds.
12 I'm away from home at the moment, so I cannot try them yet, but maybe
13 someone else can be the guinea pig.
14
15 The problem seems to be that TextureFromPixmap in Nvidia's drivers is
16 really slow, but it is really fast in other brands' drivers. This
17 supposedly heavily affects anything that involved a window being
18 created or resized. (Which is exactly where I see the worst slowdowns)
19
20 Changing from OpenGL to xrender will cause those actions to be much
21 faster, but other OpenGL things like animations will be slower.
22
23 Disabling direct rendering may help in some areas and hurt in others.
24
25 Changing OpenGL shared memory settings may help.
26
27 If someone tries these, feel free to post your results. :)