From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh install on reboot endless scrolling text
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:58:51
1 On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Harry Putnam<reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > [...]
5 >
6 >>> I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install
7 >>> media.
8 >>
9 >> So you have grub installed, the grub menu appears, you select a boot
10 >> option, boot starts, the usual kernel messages flash by, you get to the
11 >> second part of the boot where the lines look like:
12 >>
13 >>  blah...   [OK]
14 >>
15 >> Then something goes crazy.
16 >
17 > Yes,  just the first few `blah   [ok]' lines... maybe 3.
18 >
19 >> Assuming that's the scenario, boot with your install media, enter the
20 >> chroot, then take a peek at the logs in /var/log.  Hopefully you can
21 >> find
22 >> a hint.
25 > In progress on you suggestion now.
26 > But no syslog is running in the chroot.(is it?)  But still looking
27 > around.
28 >
29 > And just incase its something related to the newest kernel I've
30 > downgraded to 2.6.29-r2 and building from an old .config of 2.6.28.
31 > (not genkernel on this one)
32
33 I think he was hoping that you would find something in your
34 chroot/var/log/messages file or something like that. boot from the CD,
35 mount the hard drive like you were doing an install, and then poke
36 around and see if anything got written and is still there. Just
37 hunting for clues.
38
39 Do you have a digital camera? If so maybe it's fast enough to capture
40 the screen while it's scrolling and make the message semi-readable
41 even though they aren't to your eyes?