From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:56:11
1 On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
3 > powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
4 > CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
5 > AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
6 >
7 > Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
8 > taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
9 > motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?
12 IIRC, most RMA'd hardware isn't 'repaired' in the technical sense.
13 You're typically given a new motherboard. In my experience,
14 overclocking typically doesn't damage unrelated components. The CPU
15 is likely the only problem with your rig, unfortunately.
20 Dan Cowsill
21 http://www.danthehat.net
22 --
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list