From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is there any Gentoo User webinar ?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 09:02:13
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > On 2020-09-30, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I've found that syncing and updating once a week is generally good
4 >> enough. Generally, a "eix-sync && emerge -uaDN world" does the job.
5 > For the OP (original poster), I can echo re a weekly 'eix-sync'
6 > -- do install 'eix' -- , but I've never done 'emerge world' without '-pv'.
7 > Then I make a list of what has been updated among what I use
8 > & update them invidivually or in sensible groups ;
9 > that way, you avoid getting caught in Portage tangles,
10 > which have become less frequent recently, but can still happen.
11 > On a rarely used system, you can update successfully after > 1 year ,
12 > but you need to work thro' the list carefully, which takes time.
13 >
14 > As for the original inquiry, most of us never meet each other in person,
15 > but we do swap notes on this list re Gentoo & even other Linux matters.
16 > There's a forum, but the noise/info ratio is much too high :
17 > think of the high-school cafeteria compared with the teachers' commonroom.
18 > It's a friendly place : most of us build our own machines
19 > & are prepared to put in a bit of spare time maintaining our systems.
23 I used to use -p but started using -a instead.  It saves some time since
24 once you get a output with everything correct, you just hit "y" and
25 return. Still, It is exceptionally rare that I don't use -a, or -p for
26 those who prefer it.  One has to watch those USE flags for sure.  On
27 occasion you may spot some other odd thing that needs correcting.
28
29 Dale
30