From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken seamonkey :(
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 19:18:36
1 On Sunday, September 06, 2015 4:29:25 PM lee wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On Saturday 05 Sep 2015 17:22:24 lee wrote:
5 > >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
6 > >> > On Saturday 05 Sep 2015 02:08:47 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
7 > >> >> On Saturday, September 05, 2015 1:05:06 AM lee wrote:
8 > >> >> > In this case, I happen to have full physical access to the server
9 and
10 > >> >> > thus to the certificate stored on it. This is not the case for,
11 let's
12 > >> >> > say, an employee checking his work-email from home whom I might give
13 > >> >> > the login-data on the phone and instruct to add an exception when
14 the
15 > >> >> > dialog to do so pops up when they are trying to connect.
16 > >> >>
17 > >> >> As a workaround you can create your own CA cert. I tested with a
18 windows
19 > >> >> self- signed cert (I guess the correct term is self-issued) and the
20 > >> >> openssl command will show two certs. The second is the CA.
21 > >> >>
22 > >> >> http://datacenteroverlords.com/2012/03/01/creating-your-own-ssl-certific
23 > >> >> ate -authority/
24 > >> >
25 > >> > lee, on my FF I can import a self-signed certificate when I go to:
26 > >> > about:preferences#advanced
27 > >>
28 > >> You mean to enter this as an URL, just like about:config? When I do
29 > >> that, I'm getting "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded. The
30 > >> provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the
31 > >> location bar for mistakes and try again.".
32 > >>
33 > >> Maybe that only works with firefox?
34 > >
35 > > Yes, it seems to be the case that SeaMonkey has some GUI differences to
36 > > Firefox. I am on Firefox-38.2.1 at present.
37 >
38 > Does Firefox even have a MUA built in? IIRC it's only the web browser
39 > part of seamonkey.
40 >
41 > >> > and then select the 'Servers' tab. After I import it I can select it
42 and
43 > >> > click on the 'Add Exception' button at the bottom of the tab. Enter
44 the
45 > >> > http address of the server and FF should go and fetch it afresh when
46 you
47 > >> > click on 'Get Certificate', then tick 'Permanently store this exception'
48 > >> > and 'Confirm Security Exception'. These buttons will be greyed out if
49 > >> > do not download the certificate or if I am running FF in Private
50 > >> > Browsing mode.
51 > >>
52 > >> I'm guessing you might be in the window that shows up when you edit
53 > >> preferences and go to 'Privacy & Security --> Certificates --> Manage
54 > >> Certificates ...' and then to the "Servers" tab.
55 > >
56 > > Yes, this is the location I am referring to. However, if it is hanging
57 and
58 > > not connecting to the server to fetch the certificate something is not
59 right.
60 > > This is the reason with the exception button it greyed out.
61 > >
62 > > I can't recall if you tried this:
63 > >
64 > > Can you please remove it from Servers and try adding it to the Authorities
65 > > tab? Your version may have additional verification checks for self-signed
66 > > certificates, because they essentially acting as their own Root CAs.
67 >
68 > Yes, I tried that.
69 >
70 > >> From there, I can import the certificate I downloaded with openssl.
71 > >> Once imported, I can click on "Add Exceptions". That gives me the same
72 > >> dialog which comes up when I'm trying to connect which doesn't allow me
73 > >> to add an exception because the buttons to do so are disabled. The
74 > >> dialog remains stuck at "Checking Information" indefinitely.
75 > >>
76 > >> I'm attaching a screenshot:
77 > >
78 > > The fact that it is hanging and not obtaining the certificate makes me
79 wonder
80 > > if you need to specify a domain name in the CN field of the certificate,
81 > > identical to the full URI that the client is trying to connect to.
82 >
83 > That brings us back to the impractical idea of trying to bind a
84 > certificate to a specific fqdn or IP, or to a number of those.
85 >
86 > Is it possible to create a certificate that doesn't use either but a
87 > wildcard only? I don't understand why or how an fqdn/IP in a
88 > certificate could or should be relevant at all.
89 >
90 > When creating the certificate, I have used the fqdn the host does
91 > actually have and knows itself by (because I needed to fill in the
92 > fields, and it seemed most reasonable to use the actual host name).
93 >
94 > That this host can be reached at all, via different fqdns and IPs, is a
95 > matter of network traffic (re-)direction and of how the DNS-entries
96 > currently happen to be. They are all transparent and irrelevant to the
97 > user/client and subject to change. Why should they matter for a
98 > certificate which is supposed to let me figure out whether I'm
99 > connecting to the host I'm expecting to connect to, or to something
100 > else?
101 >
102 > When a friend calls you on the phone, you do not insist that they are
103 > not your friend and reject their call just because they're calling you
104 > from a different phone number. You do not reject their call and insist
105 > that they are not your friend because the call has been (re-)directed
106 > over a satellite or goes through an asterisk server. You do not insist
107 > that your friend is someone else when they show up at your door wearing
108 > different cloths than they usually do. Instead, you figure out that the
109 > caller, or the person at your door, is your friend by the human
110 > equivalent of a certificate.
111
112 An SSL certificate provides both encryption and authentication. For the
113 encryption part it's simple, you own the private key, the certificate has the
114 public key, so only you can decrypt whatever is encrypted with it.
115
116 Authentication is more complicated. It's easy if you think of if like a driver
117 license. The hostname is like the photo, if I get pulled over and hand over a
118 stolen license to the officer he'll know it's not me by looking at the photo.
119 Your browser does the same with the hostname, if somebody steals your private
120 key they will also have to steal your domain name to impersonate you. If
121 somebody grabs a hold of your CA's private key is like stealing the DMV
122 printer, now they can issue themselves a license with your name and their own
123 picture. But if they hand it over to an officer he will call it in and find out
124 it's fake, that's the equivalent of revocation lists and ocsp.
125
126 Of course it only works because we trust the DMV (or the CA in this case) to
127 be diligent in verifying you are who you say you are before issuing a license
128 or certificate. So it all doesn't apply as much to self issued certificates but
129 it still applies to some extent.
132 Fernando Rodriguez