From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Firefox
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:53:56
1 Can anyone explain why it takes so long for Firefox-bin to be unmasked?
2 That's not intended to be a rant or finger-pointing, but a serious question. I
3 can certainly understand the issues involved with ensuring that a complex
4 package compiles on various systems with all sorts of different drivers and
5 set-ups. But the -bin package is a precompiled binary that's merely
6 installed. It seems like it should be pretty simple and straightforward to
7 ensure that it works and unmask it.
8
9 Firefox just released 5.0 and announced that all development, including bug
10 fixes and security updates, had halted on 4.0. They plan to hold to similar
11 short-release cycles in the future. It's been four months since 4.0 was
12 released and it's still masked. If future releases see similar delays in
13 unmasking, Gentoo users will soon be two or three versions behind. We'll be
14 forced to either manually install, unmask the masked package, or run a
15 potentially buggy, insecure version. Any insight into the delay of unmasking
16 the binary verion that would help me understand the issue greatly appreciated.
19 "It seems to me that it is madder never to abandon one's self than often to be
20 infatuated; better to be wounded, a captive and a slave, than always to walk
21 in armor." - Margaret Fuller