From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check symbols
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 20:27:12
1 de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > Following closely the instrunctions on the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook, I
6 > installed gentoo recently (info below) and just did the first reboot
7 > before finalizing the installation. All worked except for this message
8 > during boot
9 >
10 > System.map not found - unable to check symbols.
11
12 Well I had the same problem some time before. I'm using ~x86 tree and
13 after a update it was solved. I don't remember which package was causing
14 the problem. But I'm sure it's some init script. It's not a kernel
15 problem. I now have no problems.
16
17 But here's my logic as to why this warning shows up. According to
18 /etc/fstab, /boot partition does not get auto mounted during boot up, so
19 the init script can't find /boot/System.map (/boot being the folder, an
20 empty on in /)
21
22 > which doesn't seem to cause problems during/after booting (??).
23
24 Don't worry.. It wont cause no harm, except for the annoying warning..
25
26 > I did a manual kernel compilation and the handbook didn't say anything
27 > about copying System.map to /boot. On a second attempt to reboot I did
28 > copied System.map to /boot. My grub.conf follows below. In /boot I have
29 > System.map and System.map-2.6.15.1 files (System.map is a soft link).
30
31 To make the warning disappear, simply copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to
32 /boot (don't mount the boot partition, i.e., make sure hda1 is *NOT*
33 mounted).. This should hopefully make the warning disappear.
34
35 > (snip)
36
37 Hope this helps,
38 Farhan Ahmed
39 --
40 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
41 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
42 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
43 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)
44 Check Out : http://gentooisbest.blogspot.com