From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage + checksums
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:13:33
1 Hi!
2
3 >Do you know if someone makes a change to a copy of apache hosted on a
4 >public mirror, will the sync between the servers determine that it's
5 >corrupted (via 'bad' checksum) on the public side and replace it?
6
7 I'm not sure how gentoo mirrors do the syncing but in a lot of cases an
8 error like this would show up on the downloading (client-/mirror-) side
9 which wont help you at all if you don't trust the mirror.
10
11 The way I undestand this a problem is that any mirror may simply
12 regenerate hash values like RMD160 or SHA1 for modified sourcefiles. If
13 you don't compare them to those from a trusted server you will never
14 know.
15
16 So a general aproach to this may be that some gentoo core team would
17 sign everything with one (or a set of) private key(s) of some kind and
18 publish the corresponding public key(s) on their website and with the
19 install images. The signature could easily be copied to mirrors but not
20 regenerated for changed sourcefiles.
21
22 However that would be a lot more work for the gentoo developers since
23 *few* (else it's pointless) trusted people with access to the private
24 key would have to approve every single update for every arch and
25 compare every source tarball to a trusted one.
26
27 Maybe you could run your own mirror and sync it to a trusted one?
28
29 Bye,
30 jdb