From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:11:31
1 On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Hi folks,
4 > >
5 > > I been putting this off but it looks like the newer kernels are going to
6 > > push me to changing this real soon. I have a older system, Abit NF7 2.0
7 > > motherboard with the older IDE drives. I'm still using the older IDE
8 > > drivers. This is what I have currently:
9 > >
10 > > hda Actual hard drive OS on this
11 > > hdb Actual hard drive Not in use
12 > > hdc Actual hard drive home partition
13 > > hdd DVD burner Duh! It's a burner.
14 > > sda Actual hard drive connected through a SATA PCI card. Misc stuff.
17 > > So, hda has the Gentoo OS on it and hdc is my /hone directory. I have
18 > > videos, mp3's and various other data on sda. Currently hdb is not being
19 > > used, since for those who keep up with my threads would know, it is the
20 > > one that is terribly slow. Something along the lines of 10Mbs/sec or
21 > > something of that nature. It's just hard to get out of the case right
22 > > now and I can't get to it with a hammer either. :/
23 >
24 > You can at least disconnect it then. Right now all it does and eat
25 > power, heat the case and make noise :-/
26 >
27 > > My theory is something like this: hda will become sda; hdb will become
28 > > sdb; hdc will become sdc; hdd will become sdd; and sda will become sde.
29 > > Would that be a logical expectation?
30 >
31 > I'd say sda will stay as is, hda will become sdb, and so forth.
32 >
33 > Anyway, make sure you have a bootable Linux CD/DVD handy. That way, you
34 > won't be able to blow anything up and can boot from it in order to
35 > change your /etc/fstab and grub conf.
36
37 Alternatively, give your partitions Labels and reconfigure /etc/fstab to use
38 those.
39 Then you don't have to worry about the changes to the device-names.
42 Joost