From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:47:33
1 On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 02:08:39PM +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote
2 >
3 > Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is happening in can
4 > display additional info? At the moment, I get:
5 >
6 > /home/agl: emerge
7 >
8 > can I get, say:
9 >
10 > /home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox
11
12 I use xterm under ICEWM (a simple WM). The title bar at the top of the
13 xterm lists how far in the list you are, and the current ebuild...
14
15 emerge:(1 of 2) www-client/midori-0.4.3 Compile
16
17 see attached top few lines of a screen shot. Note that even if you
18 minimize the xterm, you can still see the info by doing either of...
19
20 * holding down {ALT-TAB} to bring up the programs menu
21 * hovering the mouse pointer over the location on the program bar list
22 of running programs.
23
24 Both of these simply duplicate what shows up on the title bar.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>

xterm.png image/png