From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching adapter - power supply
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:59:30
On Monday 20 Mar 2017 13:19:59 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
> On 03/20/2017 12:12 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote: > > On March 20, 2017 6:36:25 PM GMT+01:00, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote: > >> I have a small box "VIA Eden Processor 1200MHz" it runs my asterisk and > >> hylafax but it is powered by those external 12V adapters (12V 5A). > >> > >> They don't usually last long, max 2-years or less. I have a spare > >> unit: > >> Switching Adapter Power Supply. > >> The box is in remote location so if it goes down due to PS I have to > >> there and restart it, it shut down twice on me this morning; I think > >> this adapter is going slowly. > >> > >> If find/connect 12V adapter with higher Amps 10A or 15A will it help > >> extend the live of the these external power supplies? > >> > >> Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V > >> line is better solution? > > > > Most cheap 12V adapters are just that. Cheap. I would invest in a quality > > unit that is actually designed for long term 24/7 use. > > > > A higher amp might help as it won't be stressed as much. But also consider > > adding cooling as it's the high temperatures and inadequate cooling that > > kills them. > > > > -- > > Joost > > These 12V 5A adapters are small (~2x4x1in) external adaptors, they > failed on my several times. They are not design with cooling system and > yes they do run warm especially when run 24/7. > > I even had standard case power supply fail on me twice, so yes I try to > buy them with extra watts capacity and most importantly I always ask for > one with Japanese capacitors. > > -- > Thelma
I had an old Linksys NSLU2 which had a PSU failure a few months after I connected a large USB drive to it. The USB drive was drawing more current than the PSU could cope with in continuous operation (it was running 24-7). I opened the PSU and replaced the capacitors with higher rating components. This lasted just under a couple of years. After that I used a higher amperage PSU from a laptop. I can't recall the exact difference in amps. The original was 5V 2A and I used something like 5.5A, which lasted for a long time without any problem. BTW, besides the size also check the polarity of the pin to make sure you do not blow the target device. -- Regards, Mick