From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching adapter - power supply
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:59:30
1 On Monday 20 Mar 2017 13:19:59 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 03/20/2017 12:12 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On March 20, 2017 6:36:25 PM GMT+01:00, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > >> I have a small box "VIA Eden Processor 1200MHz" it runs my asterisk and
5 > >> hylafax but it is powered by those external 12V adapters (12V 5A).
6 > >>
7 > >> They don't usually last long, max 2-years or less. I have a spare
8 > >> unit:
9 > >> Switching Adapter Power Supply.
10 > >> The box is in remote location so if it goes down due to PS I have to
11 > >> there and restart it, it shut down twice on me this morning; I think
12 > >> this adapter is going slowly.
13 > >>
14 > >> If find/connect 12V adapter with higher Amps 10A or 15A will it help
15 > >> extend the live of the these external power supplies?
16 > >>
17 > >> Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V
18 > >> line is better solution?
19 > >
20 > > Most cheap 12V adapters are just that. Cheap. I would invest in a quality
21 > > unit that is actually designed for long term 24/7 use.
22 > >
23 > > A higher amp might help as it won't be stressed as much. But also consider
24 > > adding cooling as it's the high temperatures and inadequate cooling that
25 > > kills them.
26 > >
27 > > --
28 > > Joost
29 >
30 > These 12V 5A adapters are small (~2x4x1in) external adaptors, they
31 > failed on my several times. They are not design with cooling system and
32 > yes they do run warm especially when run 24/7.
33 >
34 > I even had standard case power supply fail on me twice, so yes I try to
35 > buy them with extra watts capacity and most importantly I always ask for
36 > one with Japanese capacitors.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Thelma
40
41 I had an old Linksys NSLU2 which had a PSU failure a few months after I
42 connected a large USB drive to it. The USB drive was drawing more current
43 than the PSU could cope with in continuous operation (it was running 24-7). I
44 opened the PSU and replaced the capacitors with higher rating components.
45 This lasted just under a couple of years. After that I used a higher amperage
46 PSU from a laptop. I can't recall the exact difference in amps. The original
47 was 5V 2A and I used something like 5.5A, which lasted for a long time without
48 any problem. BTW, besides the size also check the polarity of the pin to make
49 sure you do not blow the target device.
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick