From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Overlays & package.mask
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:09:57
Hi all,

This morning I got

centaur ~ # emerge -vDuNp world

Calculating dependencies... done!
<snip/>
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1 [4.5.1-r1] USE="semantic-desktop
(-aqua) -debug -doc -examples (-kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix)" 0 kB
[1=>0]
<snip/>

Total: 9 packages (7 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 1 reinstall), Size of
downloads: 10,550 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [1] /var/lib/layman/kde

I decided that I did not want to go back to 4.5.1 so I added

=kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1

to /etc/portage/package.mask.

To my utmost surprise, I got the exact same result as before when
running the above emerge command again. I tried it with one of the
other upgrades mentioned and package.mask had the expected result.

So I'm confused. Why is package.mask not having any (apparent) effect
for pykde4? How do I prevent the downgrade?

Cheers,
Hilco