From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] curses of ncurses :(
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:42:22
1 On Thursday, August 27, 2015 05:33:33 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 27/08/2015 17:25, gevisz wrote:
3 > > 2015-08-27 17:52 GMT+03:00 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
4
5 > > P.S. I have too much "required by" lines. So, if the portage will not
6 > >
7 > > resolve this issue automatically, I will stop to update my system
8 > > at all.
9 >
10 > I don't think that's the right attitude, portage really only needs to
11 > tell you the first one.
12 >
13 > What is happening is two SLOTs of the same package want to be updated,
14 > but the specific versions block each other (this is definitely a bug of
15 > some kind as the whole point of SLOTs is you *can* have both)
16 >
17 > So portage is telling you that it can't do what it wants to do with
18 > ncurses as there is a blocker. It needs to update ncurses because procps
19 > wants it. And so does Vim. And gvim, zsh, ruby and more. Why so many?
20 > Because ncurses is a very basic piece of code and lots of things use it,
21 > and portage blindly printed all of them
22 >
23 > You only have one error. The 50 or more Required lines are total noise
24 > at this point and distract you from seeing things in the proper light.
25 > Portage is well known for often giving really sucky output, this is such
26 > a time.
27 >
28 > Fix the real error, and all that junk on the screen goes away. No reason
29 > to stop updating.
30
31 I only had 1 required by set.
32 Which basically got me to remove the llvm use-flag from mesa.
33
34 That solved the block for me as it ended up removing "llvm"
35
36 What is "llvm" actually used for?
39 Joost