From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new box: 2 small puzzles
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:52:01
1 My new machine is working well & I'm starting to install the system.
2 So far, there are 2 things I would value advice on.
3
4 (1) The mobo (ASUS P5K-VM) manual has as default 'Configure SATA as IDE',
5 which I have left as is. However, while the System Rescue CD finds the HDD
6 as '/dev/sda', neither the Gentoo Live CD nor Knoppix sees it:
7 should I change the mobo setting (the HDD is SATA) ?
8
9 (2) I've been using a 2 GB USB memory stick to transfer material
10 from my present machine to the new one. The space taken up on the stick
11 is much larger than that shown by 'df' or 'du' on either HDD :
12 is there some inefficiency in how data is written to a USB stick ?
13 is there some way of making it as efficient as an HDD ?
14 I've been using the command 'cp -a', which is slow but usually safe.
15
16 BTW I'm amazed that System Rescue doesn't seem to know re 'pppoe'.
17 I hope to install Gentoo from the copied files w/o using the I/net.
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list