From: Heiko Wundram <me+gentoo-user@×××××××××.org>
To: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Port Tracer Program Needed
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:59:46
1 Am Dienstag, 14. März 2006 19:24 schrieben Sie:
2 > I created the script as you suggested, and when I executed it ALL the
3 > lights on the ports that have connections go nuts
4
5 Okay, your switches are layer 2 switches, not layer 3 switches then... (they
6 don't understand IP traffic, only ethernet traffic; a broadcast ping is a
7 broadcast ethernet packet which gets forwarded to every port by a layer 2
8 switch). I didn't think of that when I sent out the snippet; our switches are
9 layer 3 switches, and they won't forward packets between different network
10 segments, even when they are in the same ethernet segment.
11
12 But, you can still make this work if you have two computers connected to the
13 network, one which you know the switch port and IP of.
14
15 Your setup should look something like this:
16
17 ------------------------------------
18 | Switch |
19 --|------------------------------|--
20 Port 1 (192.168.0.1) Port x (your Laptop, fixed at 192.168.123.45,
21 some address not on your network)
22
23 Port 1 mustn't necessarily be port 1, may also be any other port, just as you
24 may use any other IP you know.
25
26 Then, try the following:
27
28 #!/bin/sh
29 # Set up networking, adjust to fit your network.
30 ifconfig $1 192.168.123.45 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255
31
32 # Standard loop.
33 while true
34 do
35 ping -f -w $2 192.168.0.1 # Your known host IP
36 sleep $2
37 done
38
39 When you call this script (just as before), only those two ports which are
40 present in the diagram above should start to fire (and sleep), and as you
41 know one of them, the other can't be hard to actually discern from the rest
42 of the ports on the switch.
43
44 If the above doesn't work, there are other ways which involve creating
45 ethernet packets with invalid recipient address at high speeds which
46 shouldn't get forwarded by a layer 2 switch, but these involve a little more
47 trickery than a small shell script. I'd be happy to write a little
48 Python-Program which does just this, but before I do, test the above. ;-)
51 --- Heiko.
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list