From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Optimum sound settings for QEMU VM?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 02:38:10
1 I'm involved in beta testing Gstreamer 1.x support for HTML5 under
2 Pale Moon (a Firefox fork). So far so good; it works. I use a QEMU VM
3 for some building and testing. Things work great on a real physical
4 machine, but audio absolutely sucks in the QEMU VM. I get an annoying
5 warble-stutter and the playback seems a bit slower than it should be.
6 The same thing also happens with mplayer playing a .wav file, so it's
7 definitely not a Pale Moon browser problem.
8
9 The VM gets 3 gigs of RAM (host has 8), 4 gigs of swap space, and 3 of
10 the host's 4 cores. Resources should not be a problem. Has anybody got
11 better performance? If so, what are your kernel and sound card settings?
12
13 I launch QEMU with "-soundhw hda". Here are the "make menuconfig"
14 kernel config sound driver settings for the Gentoo guest VM.
15
16 Device Drivers --->
19 <*> Sound Card Support --->
22 <*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --->
25 [*] PCI sound devices --->
26 HD-Audio --->
29 <*> HD Audio PCI
30 (64) Pre-allocated buffer size for HD-audio driver
31 [*] Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver
32 <*> Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
33 <*> Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications