From: Peter Haworth <pmh@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: sdoma <sdoma@××××××××.cz>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't play games
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:48:35
1 On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:14:59 +0200, sdoma wrote:
2 > Well, that was it. I'm quite surprised because I start xterm as
3 > ``xterm -ls'', which should provide a login shell but I had to
4 > logoff completely (terminating X and logout).
5
6 A "login shell" is not a new login; it just means that as well as
7 reading .bashrc (or the equivalent for your shell), it also reads
8 .bash_profile, .bash_login and .profile when starting up, and reads
9 .bash_logout on exit.
10
11 To add groups to the currently running process requires root
12 privileges, even if the user is configured as a member of the new
13 group. The usual methods to achieve this are logging out and back in
14 again, or using newgrp (though this starts a new shell, and only
15 affects processes started from that shell).
18 Peter Haworth pmh@××××××××××××××××××××.com
19 "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our
20 ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit
21 to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who just happen to be
22 walking about. All democrats object to men being disqualified by the
23 accident of their birth; tradition objects to their being disqualified
24 by the accident of their death."
25 -- G. K. Chesterton
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list