From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 22:41:20
1 Am 28.05.2015 um 17:35 schrieb gevisz:
2 > In my everyday work at the computer, I read
3 > and type at three or even four different languages.
4 >
5 > However, I do want to have all program menues
6 > and system messages only in English.
7 >
8 > So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
9 > setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
10 > it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
11 > enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.
12 >
13 > (As far as I can remember the gettext package
14 > was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
15 > system just after that.)
16 >
17 > However, after those few weeks (and some system
18 > updates), I have noticed that my system started
19 > to translate some "system" messages into one of
20 > the languages I use but which is not my native language.
21 >
22 > Moreover, running
23 > $ equery depends gettext
24 > I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
25 > depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
26 > USE flag is either unset or absent.
27 >
28 > I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
29 > system once again but portage just ignored my
30 > $ emerge --depclean gettext
31 > command.
32 >
33 > I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
34 > when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
35 > messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
36 > in any other language, but the system understands that as
37 > I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.
38 >
39 > Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
40 > time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
41 > language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
42 > control of my Gentoo system.
43 >
44 > So, my questions are:
45 > 1. Is it a bug?
46 > 2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.
50 1. if a package hard depends on gettext, you can fiddle around with
51 useflags as much as you want, it won't change. Not a bug. Just the way
52 it is.
53
54 2. environment variables. Set them. LANG, LANGUAGE and of course LC_ALL