From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] - Code translation tools?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:47:33
1 On 01/26/2011 02:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > REALLY great points about the math issues. Thanks.
4 >
5 > As for testing it _may_ be a slight bit easier than having to get to
6 > that level. There is a library in portage called ta-lib which
7 > implements lots of standard technical analysis constructs. After it's
8 > installed I don't seem to have the C code for the actual functions
9 > anymore. What I have is a compiled library as well as some header
10 > files to look at. I suspect I can install the library again using
11 > portage bt not getting rid of the functions which I could then use as
12 > an example for my coding.
13
14 Use FEATURES="noclean" and the patched source will be left under
15 /var/tmp/portage. The unpatched source is probably in your
16 /usr/portage/distfiles already. (I don't know if there *are* any patches
17 for ta-lib, but if there are, you usually want them applied).
20 > I have not used this library myself, but I've read enough on the web
21 > to be reasonably sure it's results are very consistent with what
22 > TradeStation functions of the same type do.
23 >
24 > For a simple function call like a moving average EasyLanguage would write:
25 >
26 > ...
27 >
28 > TA_RetCode TA_MA( int startIdx,
29 > int endIdx,
30 > const double inReal[],
31 > int optInTimePeriod, /* From 1 to 100000 */
32 > TA_MAType optInMAType,
33 > int *outBegIdx,
34 > int *outNBElement,
35 > double outReal[] );
36 >
37 > ...
38 >
39 > Maybe I could use the definitions of these functions as a basis for
40 > understanding what might be a reasonable set of guesses? From my point
41 > of view, a good start at translation would be to use whatever is
42 > available in ta-lib whenever possible and only have to deal with other
43 > stuff like If/Else, Switch, etc.
44 >
45 > Just thinking.
46
47 If you can figure out what all those parameters mean -- that will be the
48 hard part. What type of moving average is EasyLanguage doing? Which
49 TA_MAType does it match up to? Can the E.L. version fail if it runs off
50 the end of the prices array, or does it just add zeros at the end? Is
51 there a way to make TA_MA do the same?
52
53 Sorry I have nothing but discouragement to offer =) This isn't an easy
54 problem.