From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] request_module: runaway loop
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:07:01
1 On Monday 30 August 2010 07:06:05 Mike Diehl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm trying to build a new duel quad-core server and I'm having some
5 > problems.
6 >
7 > Just after it loads the keymap, I get this error:
8 >
9 > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
10 >
11 > A few minutes later, it panics.
12 >
13 > I'm loading from a pendrive that I've used before to build servers, so I
14 > don't THINK it's the installation media.
15 >
16 > Some of the search results I got from Goggle (who is my friend, btw)
17 > indicated that it might be a problem with drive labels. After unplugging
18 > both drives and retrying, I'm convinced thats not the case.
19 >
20 > Other chatter indicated that I was booting a 32-bin kernel in a 64-bit OS,
21 > or vise versa. Based solely on the name of the failing module, this has
22 > some credibility, but seems like a stretch since I've not changed the
23 > pendrive.
24 >
25 > Anyone else seen, and fixed, this problem before? Any advise would be
26 > welcome.
27
28 Not seen this myself, but I did find the following page:
29 https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=253794
30
31 This mentions reinstalling grub solved the issue.
32
33 Is the pendrive for a 32bit installation or a 64bit installation?
36 Joost